St. Louis Trusts & Inheritance Attorney

Can my former spouse access family trusts or inheritance now or in the future?

To answer that question, we must begin with the types of property considered in a divorce. In Missouri, the law recognizes two types of property – separate and marital.  Separate property is the property of one spouse obtained prior to the marriage.  Marital property is property the parties obtained during the marriage.  Sometimes a party can convert separate property to marital property by, for example, titling a house purchased prior to the marriage jointly in the names of both parties.  One challenge in dividing property is untangling commingled property.

Any trust in the name of the former spouse will be considered a marital asset subject to division.  Any joint but irrevocable trust that does not have provisions in the trust for division upon divorce will be subject to division by the court.

A family trust generally remains separate property.  However, if your former spouse helped increase your share of the family trust during the marriage, that contribution could be considered subject to division.

Inheritance is determined by the instrument that creates it – a trust or a will, for example.  Those documents should contain instructions on how to handle any taking in the event of divorce.

A situation clients sometimes encounter is the receipt of an inheritance during the marriage.  If the beneficiary spouse keeps the inheritance segregated, it remains separate property.  However, if the beneficiary spouse converts some or all of the inheritance by commingling or joint titling, it can become a marital asset subject to division.

If you are concerned about protecting your trust or inheritance as separate property, the best time to consult an attorney is prior to receiving any proceeds of the trust or inheritance.

Even if you commingled assets from a trust or an inheritance, you may still have options short of splitting the trust or inheritance with your former spouse.

To be sure you have all the protections of the law, you should consult with a skilled and experienced family law attorney before making any decisions regarding inheritance.

Getting Help in Trusts & Inheritance

As you can see from the issues to resolve, the process is not just a short set of simple, self-executing rules, but involves many complex and often difficult questions of proof. Only a skilled and experienced attorney can properly advise you as to your rights with regard to the division of trusts and inheritance, and protect those rights in a legal proceeding.

At The Marks Law Firm, L.L.C, we have over fifty years of combined experience handling family law matters. We help individuals understand their rights with regard to all issues, including property division. We have handled hundreds of trials before family court judges; if you choose The Marks Law Firm, L.L.C., you will have the benefit of a family law attorney unafraid to go to court, advocate on your behalf and fully present your case.

Time to Act

Time is of the essence.  As soon as you select The Marks Law Firm, L.L.C. to represent you, we will immediately put our considerable experience and resources to work on your case.  The sooner we can review the necessary information, the sooner we can formulate a strategy for your unique circumstances, helping to ensure the best possible outcome.

Contact The Marks Law Firm, L.L.C.

For an initial consultation with an experienced Creve Coeur & O’Fallon, MO family law attorneysend us an email or call us at 314-993-6300.

You need an experienced divorce attorney on your side.