College Expenses For Child Support

Can a court order a parent to pay for college expenses, and if so, at what rate?

By statute in Missouri, a court must enter a detailed Parenting Plan with regard to any custody judgment, and that Parenting Plan must include provisions for paying for the expenses of the child, which includes education. So yes – a court can, and arguably should, set out a means for paying the college tuition of a child.

Generally, courts look at the relative income shares of the parties as set out in the child support calculations, in addition to other property and funds, when considering the contribution each parent must make to the payment of college expenses (tuition and room and board).

Just because you have an obligation to contribute to the college education of your child does not mean you have to pay to send your child to an expensive private university. The court will look at the relative wealth and incomes of each parent and determine what a reasonable tuition amount would be, with tuition at a state university as a good benchmark of affordability.

Parties can also agree to share college expenses, both as to proportional contributions and tuition caps, in a settlement agreement.

Courts could even assure that a child has a college fund by requiring parents make proportionate contributions on a monthly basis to a college fund like MOST, the 529 program that allows for tax-free contributions.

Only a skilled and experienced attorney in family law can properly advise you as to the various options you have with regard to the payment of college expenses.

Getting Help

At The Marks Law Firm, L.L.C, we have over fifty years of combined experience handling family law matters. We help individuals understand their rights with regard to all issues, including payment of college expenses. We do all required discovery, and will try your case before the judge if we cannot reach a settlement. We have handled hundreds of trials before family court judges; if you choose The Marks Law Firm, L.L.C., you will have the benefit of a family law attorney unafraid to go to court, advocate on your behalf and fully present your case.

Time to Act

Time is of the essence.  As soon as you select The Marks Law Firm, L.L.C. to represent you, we will immediately put our considerable experience and resources to work on your case.  The sooner we can review the necessary information, the sooner we can formulate a strategy for your unique circumstances, helping to ensure the best possible outcome.

Contact The Marks Law Firm, L.L.C.

For an initial consultation with an experienced Creve Coeur & O’Fallon, MO family law attorneysend us an email or call us at 314-993-6300.

Schedule A Consultation

Please Read: The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Related Pages
Related Articles
paying for college after divorce

Paying for College After Divorce

Millions of high school seniors await their acceptance letters to college right now; and millions more parents wonder how they will pay for their children’s

Read More

You need an experienced divorce attorney on your side.