On behalf of The Marks Law Firm, L.L.C posted in Divorce on Thursday, September 15, 2011
Back in the 1970s, a book called the “Book of Lists” was published, listing lists of just about everything under the sun. Along with sequels through the year 2005, the various editions of the “Book of Lists” listed famous people who died while having sex, the breeds of dogs that bite most and least often, the names of those who were once suspected of being Jack the Ripper, and so on.
Add to those lists of lists a new list of signs a marriage could be headed for divorce. This particular list was compiled by divorce attorney Mindy Smith, writing for the Huffington Post.
Her list (which is by no means exhaustive) includes the following:
- Facebook: if your spouse is on Facebook daily writing and receiving notes from an old flame, it’s a sign a fire is building that may engulf your marriage. While just about everyone occasionally indulges in a “what if” fantasy about a former sweetheart, a red flag should go up when those fantasies morph into daily communications.
- Weight: if your spouse gains more than 20 percent of the body weight they had when you married, it can be a sign that they no longer care about their appearance or your reaction to their appearance.
- Undies: if your spouse is suddenly wearing sexy underwear, that red flag should go up. Smith says it’s a classic early warning sign of an affair.
- Secrets: if your spouse is secretive about their cell phone or internet usage, this too can be considered a warning sign of something amiss in the marriage.
- Love life: if you and your spouse no longer make love, Smith says it’s a classic sign that the emotional connection in your marriage may be dying or is already dead.
Obviously, these sorts of lists are often meant purely as entertainment, but they can also contain nuggets of truth in them. If you’re worried that your marriage is broken, talk to an experienced divorce attorney about your situation and your options.
Source: Huffington Post: “Ten Signs Your Marriage is Headed for Divorce” by Mindy Smith: Sept. 12, 2011