What is Domestic Relations Services – And Do I Want it? – Part II

On behalf of The Marks Law Firm, L.L.C. posted in Divorce on Friday July 26, 2013

In our last post, we detailed the varied services performed by Domestic Relations Services (DRS) of St. Louis County.  The natural follow-up question would be, can I get these services in other counties in the area?

In the City of St. Louis, the Domestic Relations Unit performs all the same services as DRS, from parent coordinating to assessments to mediation.

St. Charles County does not have a separate DRS-style agency, but does offer some of the same services through its Case Management System.  When the parties first meet for the pretrial conference, the court explains the benefits of mediation and that if the parties agree to participate, the case proceeds to mediation.  Because many cases can reach resolution through some mediated assistance, judges in St. Charles County certainly encourage taking advantage of the service.  In addition, in cases where abuse may be alleged or present, social service workers are available to provide assessments and coordinate visitation in the event of any restraining orders.

Jefferson County operates in a similar fashion to St. Charles County, offering parties the opportunity to mediate by submitting a “Form 15” to the court.  Unlike St. Charles County, where many mediation services are free, Jefferson County usually requires the parties to pay the costs of mediation.

All counties offer assistance with cases of abuse or neglect through the Division of Social Services, but few have the degree of interconnected organization that we see in DRS in St. Louis County or the City of St. Louis.

Each circuit provides a different range of valuable services to parties looking for conflict resolution, and you should always check with your circuit court or your attorney if you are interested in taking advantage of these services..

If you have questions about Domestic Relations Services and whether to utilize their services in your case, contact us – we can help.

Recent Posts

You need an experienced divorce attorney on your side.