Enforcement of Child Support


Enforcement of Child Support

It can be frustrating and even financially devastating when a parent owing support fails to meet those obligations, but the law provides various remedies.

To facilitate payment and track delinquencies, you might consider signing up through the Family Support Center, a service provided by the State of Missouri.

If your Judgment did not provide for a wage withholding order, you might want to consider using that approach if you know the obligor’s employer.

Or you might want to contact the Division of Child Support Enforcement, the agency within the State of Missouri charged with the responsibility of collecting delinquent child support payments.

Failure to pay child support is a criminal offense – criminal nonsupport – which is a class A misdemeanor unless the delinquency equals twelve or more consecutive months, in which case it is a class D felony. While not the ideal option, involving the prosecuting attorney could provide sufficient incentive to pay arrearages.

Other options do exist, including filing a motion for contempt, which allows the court to award not only arrearages, but also interest and attorney fees, and the court can fix the manner of securing payment.

You need an experienced divorce attorney on your side.